Finally, summer of 2020 and I have a boat and now it even goes forward.
But first we must revisit the horrors of last summer;
The engine is rebuilt but there were some problematic stalling issues at the end of 2018.
2019 did not go well. The boat started right up, but alas with kids ready and willing to tube, the boat kept stalling. The only reliable movement was in reverse.
Imagine all the people watching this sad family limping back into the hoist in reverse???
This might have been cosmically speaking, my fault. We decided on a name; SNAKEBIT
Not ‘snakebite‘ mind you, that would imply something fierce, even reckless in its speed, ready to dominate the water. No, snakebit is old timey speak for having been bitten by the snake and now you are in danger.
A fitting name no doubt, but one which may play out as a self fulfilling prophecy.
The worst part about only driving in reverse is that the steering is very sensitive and once you over commit, you must make a wide circle to get back on track.
So as all the boat men and women are watching from the pier, I had to come in to the dock to take my boat out of the water – in reverse- twice having to make big looping circles of ridiculousness.
Turns out, my fuel pump was, for some unknown reason, painted black. Pieces of this black paint were coming off and fowling the carburetor. We were done for 2019, but we had zeroed in on the next problem.
As of this summer, I am happy to finally report, the boat worked! My wife and kids were apprehensive but eventually we learned to trust and love again.
With of course 2 side notes. 1. I did not boat the last day because I did not want to push our luck. And 2, the kids having missed a full year of tubing, had regressed to not wanting to go ‘too fast’ almost defeating the purpose of tubing in the first place.
SO we had to throw another $800-900 into the boat (fuel pump and rebuilt carburetor), total now somewhere around $7,500 – all in from day 1. Probably could have just bought a better boat by now.